Thursday, November 4, 2010

Following in his sister's footsteps

Heath is 6 weeks old today. We are already on our second medication trial for GERD (reflux disease) and we are in the process of transitioning from breast milk to an amino acid based formula. I have been dairy,soy and legume free for almost 3 months now and he is still having a reaction to something in my breast milk. He is covered in the same rash Hayleigh gets when she has a reaction to a food and there is no way to tell right now if his reflux is a result of a food allergy or reflux in an of itself.
It is said that babies don't discriminate taste until about 4 months of age. Well Heath hates the formula and only wants breast milk. I feel bad for the poor little guy but I think we need to do this. Hopefully he adjusts to the formula as well as his sister did and soon.
This time around it feels good to recognize the symptoms early and be proactive instead of reactive.

I forgot how much Hayleigh screamed and cried as a baby, until yesterday when my husband said Heath doesn't cry much. It is true he doesn't cry much in comparison to his big sister. After hearing my husband say this I realized I was tense every time I fed him. Now I remind myself to relax :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment